NitinGadkari, Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways of India and Shipping Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises in the Government of India had announced that FASTag would be mandatory for all vehicles, be it commercial or private, for payment of toll tax from January 15, 2020 onwards.
It was also noted that the vehicles without the FASTag will have to pay up double the normal toll tax across the country. This step was primarily taken to reduce the queue at the toll plazas in the country. This would enable a quick verification at the toll gate by automatically deducting the toll fee to allow the vehicle to pass through without having to wait to complete a manual cash transaction. Not all toll gates in the country are covered under FASTag as they are being covered gradually given the time taken to train the personnel across toll plazas.
It is a tag that is placed on top of the wind screen that uses Radio Frequency Identification Technology (RFID) for activation. This is being implemented by Indian Highways Management Company Limited (IHMCL) and National Payment Corporation of India (NPCI). Only 22 selected banks are authorized to issue FASTags with the prepaid component.
Benefits of using FASTag
One of the main benefits of using FASTag is to ensure minimal queue at the toll gate for free flowing traffic to prevent congestion. Here are some other benefits of using FASTags:
- Using FASTag saves time since manual cash transaction at toll gates takes a long time resulting in lengthy queues
- The automatic collection of payment is done under 30 seconds, thus saving fuel during idling
- Consumers receive SMS alert on the registered mobile number the moment the payment is deducted
- Apart from the option of an online account recharge facility through Credit/Debit Card/ or net banking, the consumers can also buy and recharge FASTag on PayTm, Flipkart and Amazon.
- No cash. No problem. It saves you the hassles of carrying cash which often results in long arguments with the toll keeper for exact change
- Transportation services companies can have an idea on their total toll tax spending from the FASTag portal, thus providing them an opportunity for budgeting and planning towards trips and related quotes
- FASTag also offers discounted prices and cash back offers according to the volume of usage
- Paperless transaction provides an opportunity for lesser tree cutting thus more green cover
- Ease of management to maintain analytics for better highway management
- Eliminates physical contact, thus making the process more efficient and effective for the current situation that has emerged from the contagious COVID-19 virus.
How to buy FASTag?
22 selected banks have been authorized to issue FASTags. They are also available on ecommerce platforms like PayTm, Flipkart and Amazon. Take a look at the steps on how to buy FASTag online:
- Visit the FASTag login page on the bank’s website
- Register for FASTag on the login page
- Login as a first-time user and fill the details accordingly
- Enter your bank details to buy FASTag and make the payment
- The FASTag is delivered at your doorstep upon successful payment transaction
Here is the detailed list of authorized banks that provide FASTag
|S.No.||Issuing Bank||Customer Care Helpline No|
|4||State Bank of India||1800-11-0018|
|7||EQUITAS Small Finance Bank||1800-419-1996|
|8||PayTM Payments Bank Ltd||1800-102-6480|
|9||Kotak Mahindra Bank||1800-419-6606|
|12||South Indian Bank||1800-425-1809|
|13||Punjab National Bank||080-67295310|
|14||Punjab & Maharashtra Co-op Bank||1800-223-993|
|16||Fino Payments Bank||1860-266-3466|
|17||City Union Bank||1800-2587200|
|18||Bank of Baroda||1800-1034568|
|22||Nagpur NagarikSahakari Bank Ltd||1800-2667183|
Source: Indian Highways Management Company Limited
Documents required for FASTag
The documents required to buy FASTag can include any of the following for your identification and address proof:
- Driving License
- PAN card
- Voter ID
- Aadhar Card
Additionally, consumers will be required to submit the following documents with the application to create a new account:
- Registration Certificate of the vehicle
- Passport size photograph of the vehicle owner
- KYC documents which can very according to the vehicle category – private or commercial for goods transport services.
A one-time joining fee of Rs.200/- is levied by the issuing bank. You are also required to pay a refundable deposit according to the vehicle category. This amount is refunded upon the closure of FASTag account. Remember, a single FASTag account for a single vehicle. You need as many tags for multiple vehicles. It is currently operational in 180 toll plazas across national and state highways in India as more toll plazas are gradually being brought under its umbrella.